We stayed at this hotel for two nights and I wish we could have stayed longer. The hotel is surrounded by lush tea plantations and overlooks a valley. The hotel’s own huge cardamom and coffee plantation is attached to the grounds -- a two-hour guided tour is arranged by the hotel (with a very pleasant guide) – definitely a highlight of our trip to Kerala. There is a platform set on large boulders near the reception that gives you a great view of the valley. You can see the mist moving in and weaving its way between the tall trees. The hotel staff was very kind, efficient and professional. The guest manager was always around to make sure that everybody was well taken care of. Meals were served in a separate building located in the garden (there is also a reading room/tea room). The menu was set but there was a large choice of (tasty for a Western palate) dishes so you can always find something to your liking. We also had lunch at the estate on our second day: sandwiches and a delicious “tree tomato” juice. Our room was large and had a terrace overlooking a well-kept garden. The atmosphere here is very relaxing and if you’re looking for a place to get away from it all, this is a perfect location. The only complaint I would have is that one of the two pillows on the bed did not smell very good (mildew) – most likely due to the humidity. The boiler in the shower looked old fashioned and taking a shower was a bit complicated as we were never able to get the water temperature right -- ended up using the plastic pitcher (Indian style) and actually enjoyed bathing in an out of the ordinary way (for a Westerner). I have traveled to about 100 countries and this will definitely be a hotel I will remember all my life (along with the (almost) similarly named Windamere Hotel in Darjeeling!). I certainly would like to return here in the future.
- Also Known As:
- Windermere Estate Munnar
- Windermere Estate Hotel Munnar
- Windermere Estate Munnar, Kerala
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windermere Estate is an 18 room boutique hotel perched on the hill slopes of Munnar on the Western Ghats with expansive view of tea estates. This family run property owes its name to one of the oldest cardamom plantation in the region. Set in the midst of a 55 acre cardamom & coffee estate , Windermere promises a true plantation experience with a unique blend of simplicity & luxury, combining modern convenience with old world charm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Venere, Travelocity, Tingo and Hotels.com so you can book your Windermere Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.