We have recently come back from a perfect honeymoon in Baros Maldives. The island was everything that we dreamed of and more.
We received a 5-star welcome from the moment that we came through the arrivals gate and the staff went out of their way to make our stay perfect.
There were two things that we were a little concerned about before we went, which we needn't have worried about at all:
1) We might get bored on such a small island
- We did not get bored at all. We stayed for 8 nights and after the 6th night we were seriously considering calling our travel agent to see if our holiday could be extended, as we were having such a wonderful time.
2) The weather might not be very good
- We were away during late June/early July, which is technically “monsoon season”. The temperature was a pretty constant 30C and the sky was blue for most of the time. Sometimes it was a little cloudy but it was still plenty hot enough to sunbathe. It rained most days but the rain showers were short and came either late in the night or early in the morning so it did not bother us at all.
We spent most of the day either on the sun loungers on the beach in front of our villa or snorkelling on the house reef. We were astonished by the number and variety of fish that we saw and also enjoyed seeing reef sharks (which are harmless!), rays and a turtle.
We tried scuba diving for the first time and the support provided was excellent. I was a little apprehensive about trying diving whereas my husband was very keen to get going and the instructor made sure that we both got what we wanted out of the experience without having to go out of our “comfort zones”.
We did consider taking a day trip to another island but loved Baros so much that we did not want to leave it for a minute. If you are staying for longer than we did and do plan to take a day trip you will need to bring appropriate clothing with you as both shoulders and knees are need to be covered up when visiting other islands.
The food was excellent in terms of both quality and quantity. Breakfast was served buffet style and there was an excellent selection including both Western and Asian options. The waiting staff warn you when the buffet is about to close so that you can help yourself to more and continue to enjoy a leisurely breakfast even after the buffet has officially closed.
We stayed on a “bed and breakfast” basis as we wanted to have the opportunity to try all three restaurants. We would recommend eating in Lime for most of the time as it offers an excellent choice at great value for money, but it is worth trying Cayenne and the Lighthouse for a change of scenery. The table BBQ in Cayenne was a fun experience (although you need to order a lot of items as each portion is fairly small). We would also highly recommend the room service “picnic” which we had on the beach in front of our villa (the portions were huge, we struggled to eat it all). The Maldivian evening at Cayenne was a little overpriced but was a good opportunity to sample a variety of local dishes.
The Lighthouse Lounge was an excellent option for pre-dinner drinks, the prices are the same as in the Sails Bar but drinks are served with a selection of (free) canapés and the view over the ocean is incredible.
We had not been on this type of holiday before and it was more expensive than other holidays we have previously been on, but prices are not extortionate compared to what you would pay elsewhere for the same quality. We found it helpful that we could check out all the prices (restaurant, dive centre, spa etc) on the Baros website before we left to get an approximate idea of how much we were likely to spend whilst we were away. Although we took some US$ cash with us, we did not need this at all as everything was charged to our room and paid on credit card when we left.
- Also Known As:
- Baros Maldives Hotel North Male Atoll
- Baros Maldives Male
- Baros Maldives Hotel Male
- Baros Maldives North Male Atoll
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A lush, tropical island set in the shimmering waters of a shallow lagoon, ringed by a reef vibrant with marine life. Stay in elegance in Villas created from timber and sandstone, poised and peaceful over a translucent lagoon, or nestled discreetly among exotic blooms by the beach. Revel in romantic privacy on the perfect vacation. The essence of the Maldives, defined at Baros. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Baros Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.