What a great little island. This was our 14th trip to the Maldives and we think we have finally found the best all round destination. Whilst some islands have slightly better food, some better AI, some better house reef diving and some with bigger rooms we felt that Maaf was best overall.
The beach villas were spacious with enough storage for clothing and kit plus a really efficient air-con system. The room boy did a wonderful job and really looked after us. The mini bar in the room, included in AI, contained soft drinks only but obtaining alcoholic drinks from the bar back to the room was not an issue. The room also had a tea / coffee maker (pod type coffee) which was constantly replenished.
Food was on a buffet basis and proved to be tasty with plenty of choice. In my opinion the curries (available at every meal) were exceptional. Afternoon tea was also provided on AI. We had a private celebratory meal that, although not 'cordon bleu',was very well prepared and presented.
There is a 'main' beach close to the swimming pools and the bar area with the rest of the island having less expansive sandy areas that almost disappeared at high tide - this was not a problem for us as there was enough 'garden' above the high water mark to retreat into if required. Around half of the island has sea defences in place to try and combat erosion, whilst they did look a little out of place they are essential and provide a calm lagoon for swimming and also watching the sharks feeding. With beach surrounding the whole island it was possible to walk all round, it took around 9 minutes at a slow stroll!
Diving was fantastic, I eventually saw a whale shark after 10 years of searching! The dive school was professionally run with all the staff going out of their way to ensure you had safe and enjoyable dives. I had taken all of my own kit but had a good look at the hire gear and it was all top grade Cressi sub in excellent condition. If you dive you must do the wreck, particularly as a night dive, absolutely the best wreck dive I have ever done.
The spa gave good service with a wide variety of treatments, again the staff were very professional.
There were numerous excursions available that we were informed were very enjoyable - we didn't participate so have no personal experience. The one trip we did take advantage of was the twice daily trip to the sister island of Lonobo. This is an uninhabited island, although they have just finished building 2 rooms there which may detract from the desert island feel of the place. The snorkelling on Lonobo was better than the 'main land' but in saying that the island housereef was very good in itself.
Overall the island provided all that we needed to a high level that we felt was very good value for money. We will return.
- Also Known As:
- Maafushivaru Hotel
- Maafushivaru Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Maafushivaru Tclub Hotel
- Maafushivaru Maldives/South Ari Atoll
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Harmoniously combining a Maldivian paradise with contemporary indulgences, Maafushivaru is the very epitome of an island hideaway. With barefoot luxury surrounded by idyllic turquoise water and the archipelago’s finest coral reefs, its secret delight is a beautiful romantic and uninhabited sister island.The Cuisine Gallery restaurant offers Mediterranean cuisine infused with local flavours, sumptuous buffets and outdoor dining, and à la carte and private dining options are also available. For an authentic Crusoe-esque experience, couples can take a boat across to the nearby uninhabited sister island for romantic picnics, candlelit dining or luxurious lobster dinners in picture-perfect surrounds (prebooking is advisable). The beachfront infinity pool is conveniently next to the bar which also has seating on the beach. Facilities include a lounge, wine cellar, library, overwater spa and gym, yoga pavilion, children's swimming pool, dive school and watersports. There is complimentary Wi-Fi in most public areas and activities including sunset cruises.Accommodation50 stylish villas with Maldivian touches, each featuring airconditioning, kingsize bed, flat-screen television, DVD player, iPod dock, telephone and minibar.Spacious Beach villas (116m²) are directly on the beach with private terrace, semi open-air bathroom and rainfall shower. Pool villas (116m²) are in groups of two with a shared pool and are ideal for families. Water villas (91m²) are scattered on stilts over the blue lagoon, have direct access to the water from a private wooden deck, and an indoor bathroom with bath, rainfall shower and ocean views.Restaurants• Cuisine Gallery - Mediterranean inspired buffet dining infused with local flavours • A la carte option • Private dining - Candlelit diners on the beach or lobster dinners on the deserted island of Lonubo • Beachfront bar - Wide variety of bev All Inclusive. ALL INCLUSIVE OPTION• All meals in the restaurant• Selected drinks, beers, soft drinks, house wine, spirits and mineral water• Snacks• Afternoon tea• Snorkeling equipment• One sunset cruise per stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your Maafushivaru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.