Stayed for one night here as the sole purpose to visit Agra was to view the Taj Mahal. Check in was far from smooth as they only had reservations for 2 adults and 1 child according to their records whilst our voucher was for 2 adults and 2 children and we had paid our agent in advance and this included having an extra bed in the room. Our hotel voucher given to us by our agent was meaningless to them and reception wanted 1000 rupees more for the extra person and they would not put an extra bed in the room until then.
The matter was sorted out in due course when we phoned our agent who in turn contacted the hotel but this took several hours, in the meantime we went to our room, refreshed ourselves and quickly made our way to the Taj Mahal whilst the matter was being dealt with. Still I find it strange a hotel casually disregards their guests hotel voucher and may not realise the mistake could be theirs!
We got no welcome drinks or anything like that, in fact even the lifts did not work on our first day, thankfully we were only on the first floor. The hotel is getting refurbished on the higher floors although I heard no noise during the daytime, my wife claims she did.
The hotel room was nice and large but with old, slightly out of fashion furniture. We got complimentary bottles of water and later in the evening the extra bed arrived.
The hotel has a rather grand foyer with a big chandelier, there is a nice spa, small gym and a pool but is not heated so it can be rather chilly. There was a wedding reception in the evening when we were there and it seems is popular spot for such functions.
We had buffet breakfast included and it was rather average. The service was functional, there was a moderate variety and made to order eggs and the omelette were rather nice although there is room for improvement here as I was far from impressed with breakfast from any of the hotels I stayed in India during my trip.
This hotel is a good spot for Agra, reasonably priced, not far from the Taj Mahal, there are places to eat nearby with a Costa Cafe, Pizza hut were just a short walk away. There are internet places just across the road as the hotel charges for internet are high.
Once the refurbishment is complete, this would be a rather fine hotel but it did let itself down with a protracted check in process. They should had sided with the customer.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Sarovar Portico Hotel
- Howard Sarovar Portico Hotel Agra
- Park Plaza Hotel Agra
- Park Plaza Agra
- Agra Park Plaza
- Howard Park Plaza Agra
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gracious interiors, personalised service and Howard Plaza Agra's unique location are complemented by Agra's glittering monument to love, the Taj Mahal, this tranquil retreat is an best spot for a business or leisure stay, offering a magnificent view of The Taj Mahal from Beautiful roof top Terrace Restaurant (Terrace Grill), Rejuvenating Experience of relaxation (Elixir SPA), a mellow dramatic view of the bustling city through front tea patio (East India Company, Tea Lounge) and a fine spread of Indian Delicacies (Rendezvous). All the exclusive 86 well appointed rooms in this hotel near Taj Mahal are incorporated with safety lockers, In-room mini bar, and LCD Televisions. In order to maintain the highest standards of hospitality and luxury, Howard Plaza Agra also offers currency exchange, tour desk, wake-up service and many more facilities that make more than just a comfortable stay. Incorporating business facilities like wireless internet access, comfortable furnishing and well trained staff for assistance, our hotel in Agra is well-suited for corporate as well as leisure traveler. After a tiring day, guests can also relax at the swimming pool and spa, with sauna, steam bath and Jacuzzi. Guests can savour some sumptuous and beautifully presented cuisine at restaurants of Howard Plaza or have their favorite drinks at Terrace Grill Bar and Lounge, or just relax and have some yummy treat at Rendezvous, all day dining. Howard Plaza promotes it self as an affordable, friendly and best price option in the city with unique close location to Taj Mahal, Agra Fort and with a variety of restaurants and cafes in walking proximity. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Howard Plaza Agra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.