Small, charming, homely and spotlessly clean hotel with excellent Ayurveda facilities.
Service: Friendly, personalised and sincere.
Price/Rates: Very affordable and great value for money – book a full board package ( this includes all medication, treatments, food and accommodation).
Location: 4 Km’s from touristy Kovalom – close to fishing village between the backwater (lake) and the beach. Quiet area - need to take a TukTuk or taxi to go anywhere.
Food/Restaurant: If you book a package you will eat strictly vegetarian/Ayurvedic food – no fish, eggs, cheese, chicken etc. No alcohol served on premises. The food was fresh but menu very limited. Unfortunately frequently items were not available which appeared on the menu and service was very slow. Room service available and included – very comfortable and nice to have! Outdoor dining very pleasant but weather permitting. Indoor dining room lacks atmosphere.
Facilities/Activities: Mainly Ayurvedic Treatments – +- 2 hours per day. Daily complimentary 1 hour yoga class in the mornings – excellent Yoga Master. Optional meditation/yoga classes at additional charge. Pleasant swimming pool next to the Ayurveda Center. Sightseeing trips available at additional charge. 2 hours backwater boat ride sometimes included – very nice bird life. Canoe available – but I would not recommend taking the chance to fall in the dirty water.
Rooms: Spacious, clean and comfortable – some with nice balconies and views. Best rooms in the main building – on the same side as the pool – 202 or 203 or 302 or 303. Avoid the room right next to the dining room.
Ayurveda: EXCELLENT! Personalised and clean Ayurveda Center with pleasant treatment rooms. Daily consultation with Doctor – insist on clarification if you have questions or are unsure what treatment programme entails – the Therapists speak very limited English. Therapists all highly qualified and skilled and very friendly and discreet. Although I was concerned about some procedures to follow I did not once feel uncomfortable. I also tried other Ayurveda Centers at other hotels for comparison, and found Beach and Lake’s Ayurveda the best.
What I liked most: Small hotel with personalised service and an authentic Ayurveda experience. I got to know every staff member, and they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and at home. Relaxed atmosphere with focus on wellness and Ayurveda - guests mostly in green gowns with oiled hair…perfect place for Ayurveda! The experience left me well rested and rejuvenated, and mentally, spiritually and physically enriched. I will definitely do an Ayuverda Retreat once a year.
What I liked least: This hotel has 2 disadvantages. Firstly we were warned that local fishermen may harass single women taking a walk on the beach. More concerning however is the VERY DIRTY beach, and the POLLUTED AND SMELLY lake – which are openly used by some as ablution facility. The location COULD be ideal if an attempt is made by the hotel staff to clean the areas around the hotel – but somehow it seems as if staff do not notice the rubbish. During my stay ( off season) the hotel was completely overstaffed with people standing and sitting around ( some sleeping) – and mostly staring at empty cans, bottles, paper, shoes, clothing etc. either drifting past or they would simply step on/ over it. Granted, the greater Trivandrum has a waste disposal/management problem, but surely paid and idle staff can make an attempt to clean in front of their own doors? If the immediate area can be cleaned it will make a HUGE difference – and maybe one can then venture a walk on the beach. While the area is so dirty one is completely stuck in the parameters of the building.
Special Tip: This hotel is perfect for solo travellers and those seeking an authentic Ayurveda experience. Staff and guests very friendly and relaxed and focus on Ayurveda – if your travel alone you will have nice company and feel at home. Stay at least 14 days and make sure you are prepared and informed about treatments to follow – this is not a SPA! If you want to visit the area for a couple of days and look for a base to explore beaches, cultural sites, bars and shops then this is not the place to go.
Would I return to this hotel: In a heartbeat – IF the surrounding beach and lake is cleaned – if not, I will go elsewhere. I visited other hotels in the area ( Sumatheeram and Maltheeram), and they do not have the dirty beach/lake problems.
- Also Known As:
- Beach And Lake Ayurvedic Hotel Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
- Beach And Lake Ayurvedic Hotel
- Beach And Lake Ayurvedic Resort Trivandrum, Kerala
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Beach and Lake is a privately owned Ayurvdedic Resort, 8 kms south from Trivandrum International airport and 4 kms north of Kovalam beach. It's nestled between the Arabian Sea and the Parvathiputhanar, Karamana rivers, situated on an island, blessed by nature. This tranquil oasis is an excellent hideaway with the peaceful and comfortable surroundings, the stunning scenery, homely and attentive service, Ayurvedic therapy, Yoga and Meditation etc. Ayurveda is a health science, the oldest and most complete healing system known today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, EasyToBook, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Beach and Lake Ayurvedic Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.