This was our favorite hotel on our trip through India largely due to the staff, food, and accommodations. We found most Indian hotels in this mid-price range disappointing, but this one is a real gem and the service was outstanding. The highlights:
The location is very convenient to all there is to see in Fort Cochin. It is in the older part of town and the area around the hotel is pretty run down but in a very charming old world way: ancient buildings, wooden handcarts, and goats walking in the street. Typical India. We loved walking here -- it was definitely a walk back in time. The hotel however, is impeccable and beautiful - with whitewashed walls and lots of natural wood touches.
The rooms were very clean with large tiled bathrooms and a small unobtrusive fridge which is always nice. The hotel was full when we arrived with the only room available very close to the front desk. Even so, we found it to be very quiet and relaxing. There is a nice pool and lounge area near the water.
The view here is much better than most waterfront hotels in Fort Cochin, particularly from the second floor covered patio -- which offered an unobstructed view of the harbor. We loved hanging out here enjoying the breeze, drinking Kingfishers, and watching the boats and wildlife on the harbor below. Lots of wildlife here: herons, eagles, and numerous other interesting birds. On several occasions we saw Brahmini Kites (Indian Bald Eagles) fishing and enjoying their lunch on the pilings right in front of us.
Delicious. If you appreciate South Indian food, you will love the meals here. The breakfast was huge, with fruit juice and very good coffee. Order the Puttu. We liked it so much that we ate lunch and dinner here almost every day. Our favorite meals included Kerala Chicken and also the Palak Paneer which we enjoyed on the aforementioned patio with some nice cold beers and a glass of wine. The chef is very talented and will cook anything you want. The waitstaff is exceptionally attentive. One night we arrived late (after 10:30) and although the kitchen was closed they made a special meal just for us.
All of the staff here is very attentive. We found the service to be much better here than at hotels at twice the price across India. The waitstaff was excellent and very friendly. The concierge and his team were always willing to help us out, whether with a ride, getting a taxi, or helping us around town. Several times I was very amused to see them chasing off several baby goats that had wandered in through the front gate. And then there is Sreekumar: the manager. What can I say? Sreekumar is the best!! He went above and beyond to help us with all of our special travel needs. It is clear that he is the one expanding the growth and development of the hotel, and the rest of the staff follow his lead. What a treat it was to find this gem of a hotel in a gem of a city.
- Also Known As:
- Capital Anchor House Hotel
- Capital Anchor House Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Anchor Hotel Kochi
- The Capital Fort Kochi Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Capital - Fort Kochi is the most popular water-front hotel situated but a whistle away from the world famous Cochin Harbor.A comfortable blend of old world charm with modern conveniences, this water-front hotel of Kochi is evocative of all good things which is truly Cochin blend, from its ambience and the splendor of the surrounding water-front and the harbor view to the flavor of its local cuisine makes The Capital - Fort Kochi the perfect place to rewind your pensive mood.The Capital - Fort Kochi is a cozy water-front hotel with neatly appointed rooms and suites, a fine restaurant with entertainment and barbeques, all making for a truly enjoyable vacation in Cochin.Hospitality comes naturally to the Cochin. At The Capital - Fort Kochi we've made it a habit. You'll be treated to people pleasing service. Service, that goes beyond the daily routine, to make your stay comfortable and memorable. A holiday at The Capital - Fort Kochi is an unforgettable experience and a memory long treasured.The Capital - Fort Kochi is delight for ethnic Kerala cuisines while they also offer a good choice of Indian and continental. ... more less