After a long flight from London and a speedy exchange of planes at Mumbai the Tea Bungalow was a very pleasant and peaceful place to be. Our first room given to us was on the ground floor which was directly off the restaurant. My wife and I were not happy about a ground floor room and this was exchanged for an upstairs one the next day. The room was large and decorated in the period from which it was built. The 4-poster bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom amenities were very good indeed including a walk in shower. Sadly the sink didn't have a plug and our well travelled one came in very handy! We had assumed by the website that the rooms had balconies but sadly this was not the case and had we have realised this we may have stayed elsewhere. Unfortunately, like many hotels around the world the safe was not bolted down and the replacement toiletries were inconsistent. However, when asked for replacement the friendly staff were only too willing to oblige. Whilst at the hotel the manager arranged for us to have a trip on a houseboat which was excellent and in our 10 days of stay (early December 2011) we struck up quite a relationship with several of the staff and one young man was exceptionally helpful - Paul - who looked after us at breakfast and any other queries we had. The location of the hotel was a short walk into town and pretty central for all of the amenities and the many excellent restaurants for which the manager was only too happy to recommend. Although the hotel generally was in a very well maintained condition both my wife and I felt that the breakfast area next to the pool and the quality of water in the pool needed a little more work. We are global travellers in our late 50s/early 60s and I would recommend this hotel for likewise and families alike but would also comment that the hotel is a little expensive even for India. Thanks to all the staff for making our stay very pleasant.
- Also Known As:
- Tea Bungalow Hotel
- Tea Bungalow Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Tea Bungalow Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dempo Resorts and the historic Tea BungalowThe guiding force behind Tea Bungalow is Mr.Vivek Dempo founder of Dempo Resorts. The Dempo Family is one of the oldest families of Goa, who controlled the coconut trade from the 16th to the 19th Century. They also owned large cargo sailing ships which sailed from Goa to the African Ports of Portuguese colonies like Mozambique and Angola in the Indian Ocean.The restoration and decoration of Tea Bungalow has been a labour of love for Mr. Dempo. He has crafted an escape from the humdrum, noisy, soul-killing rush of everyday life. Tea Bungalow offers a tranquil place to step away for a while, to centre your thoughts and get the balance you need.Tea Bungalow occupies pride of place in the heart of the exclusive heritage area of Fort Cochin. Cochin (Kochi) is made up of three districts: Ernakulam, Wellington Island and Fort Cochin. The bungalow was built in 1912 and run as a workshop and office of a UK Company called United Carpets engaged in the manufacture and export of coir and spices. Brooke Bond the tea company bought the bungalow in 1956 and christened it Brooke Bond Bungalow which housed the top management of Brooke Bond & Company. Dignitaries used this bungalow for important meetings. Its history of spice and tea brought about its new avatar - Tea Bungalow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Tea Bungalow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.