My wife and I were planning a trip to Srinigar because we'd heard about how relaxing it was to stay on a houseboat. We decided to stay at a hotel for the first 2 nights and then look for a houseboat (unfortunately we chose the Zahgeer Continental). Do not stay at this place ! ! We had 'many' problems with this hotel and I will describe some of them to you. You must realize also that my wife and I are coming up to our Anniversary and this was to be a 'special' holiday for us. I paid the 'extra' money for the suite thinking that it would be special. At Rs 4500 per night we were expecting what we saw in the pictures on the internet.
- our room was quite a bit lower than the standard that we saw on the internet. There wasn't any A/C, the bathroom are filthy. I don't know when the last time the bathtubs were actually cleaned. They were covered in grime.
- the beds were very hard and so were the pillows . . we both had sore backs and necks the next day
- the Internet ad said refridgerators in each room . . . Nope
- we lifted the mattress on the 2nd bed to use the sheet and found a live bug (we call them silverfish, similar to centipedes)
- upon returning from a long day of shopping, loud music starting playing in the courtyard below us. It started at about 9:00pm an continued past midnight
- we decided we wouldn't be able to eat there that night. If the bathrooms are that dirty and there's bugs we couldn't imagine the kitchen !! . . . so we went to eat somewhere else. We'd already experienced Delhi-belly a few weeks ago and didn't want to take any chances
- the following morning we went for a coffee in the morning and the milk and sugar containers had dirt 'settled in' on the top of them .
Luckily for us, we moved out on Friday and found a very nice houseboat and met some beautiful people and had a very nice experience of the beauty of Srinagar and it's people.
Anyway, we survived and we are back home and have many great memories of Srinagar and will definitely go back there. Unfortunately, the Hotel Zahgeer 'almost' ruined things.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Zahgeer Continental Srinagar, Kashmir
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Zahgeer Continental reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.