We stayed here for a week. It was glaringly obvious from the minute we arrived that the apartment we were staying in probably hadn't seen a duster for quite some time. It was musty, only one of the bedside table lamps worked (and my daughter badly burned her hand on the globe about ten minutes after it was turned on!) and the bathroom light cover fell from the ceiling at some point during our stay. There was a pretty poor offering of 2 sachets of coffee and 2 sugars, 2 rolls of toilet paper and 2 bin bags - for four people for 7 nights. And the final straw for me was the smoking of other guests making our lives hell. When I had finally had enough of it by the pool area i complained to the management and only got a shrug for reply. There were also a number of sharp broken pool tiles lying around, pretty hazardous with small children swimming in the pool. The entire pool area was filthy and was covered in rotting berries and bird excrement. The management would do well to get out there with a broom every morning, like most other hotel/motel establishments that take pride in their facilities. We were there with 3 other families all with young children and we endured the smoking by the pool the whole week. It was torture and I wouldn't recommend to anyone to stay here when other hotels around the area had a no smoking policy in the shared areas. The smokers were upstairs from me, so every time we opened the door the smoke just wafted in. So our apartment stank of cigarettes. My poor daughter who is an asthmatic suffered terribly. Until they review the smoking policy and do a spring clean I would not recommend this place to families.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
24 October 2011
We thank both Layla B and Jane B (see previous review) for posting their reviews and for presenting the opportunity to address this sensitive issue.
Report response as inappropriate
As non smokers ourselves we appreciate that the actions of smokers can cause discomfort to others as has been the case with Layla and Jane.
Smoking is however still legal in Australia and unfortunately while this remains the case we are powerless to stop guests that choose to smoke.
Until such time as governments make smoking illegal non smokers must all suffer the consequences of the smoking minority.
There is in Queensland a ban on smoking in certain outdoor areas but unfortunately Section 3.1.2 Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Amendment Bill 2004 (Qld) states that the prohibition will not apply to a public swimming pool or a swimming pool on residential premises. Queensland’s Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Regulation 2010 prohibits smoking at prescribed outdoor swimming areas but again falls short of a general prescription of public swimming pools or swimming pools on residential premises.
There are however two valuable lessons that we can learn from these reviews. We need to be more aware of our guests smoking preferences and we need to encourage smokers to be more aware of other guests.
We have now implemented steps to better determine if a guest is a smoker or a non smoker. Bookings made direct through our website and by telephone are now all required to declare if they are smokers or non smokers. This will enable us to be better prepared for their arrival. However, please be aware that bookings made through third parties may not always provide such information as this is outside of our control.
Hopefully in future we will be in a better position to accommodate all our guests without the discomfort of one caused by another.
Had these bookings indicated a preference against smoking we could have situated them away from our smoking guests that were already in house and had any mention been made we could have moved the guests to different apartments.
On the occasion we were asked if there was a no smoking policy poolside we tried to politely explain that we did not have the right or the power to stop people from smoking. Even a non smoking policy with signs everywhere has no legal means of enforcement unless in an area decreed smoke free by legislation.
We feel that had smoking not been an issue for Jane and Layla their reviews might not have been presented as the smoking issue seems to have had a snowball effect.
The pool area is cleaned daily but at this time of year (spring time) the abundant palms and fruit trees surrounding the pool are flowering and the seeds are constantly falling as they attract large numbers of birds that feed on them.
Our accommodation is not serviced accommodation such as hotels that provide and replenish complimentary items. We offer self catering accommodation that provides facilities to prepare and cater for oneself and for that reason we provide a small welcome pack of essentials such as toilet rolls and bin liners, tea, coffee and sugar etc. Most guests realise that in non serviced self catering apartments these items are not meant to last for seven days but are merely a convenience we provide for guests on arrival. Having said that we do provide more of these items to anyone who asks.
The rooms are of course properly cleaned after every departure and again before every arrival.
We offer all our returning guests a 10% discount and would be happy to welcome Jane and Layla and their families back to The Mango Tree at a 10% discount off our published rates.
We sympathise that their holiday was marred by the actions of others and hope that they realise this situation is beyond our control, although we have moved a step closer to avoiding a repeat situation thanks to their reviews.
We endeavour to provide best value accommodation to everyone regardless of personal habits and we share Jane and Layla's view that Queensland should be a smoke free state.
Mick & Helen Gwilliams onsite managers.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC