The Darwin Central Hotel is the first hotel I have checked into in Australia that requires photo ID for domestic travellers. This is invasive, and simply not needed (unless the guest turns up unable to verify their booking, but sheesh since when was this a major problem?)
While I'm being critical I'll run through my other gripes, but to be fair there are a lot of good points which I'll get to shortly. Other annoyances;
- I called Room Service and it rang forever without being answered. Repeat and same thing. So I called reception and was put through right away, so maybe the direct dial is not working?
- Room service call before they head up with your order. Kind of weird as I know I am expecting food, but maybe they have their reasons for this. Again, a first in any hotel for me.
- The air-con is noisey. So much so I have to turn it off at night as it stops me sleeping. Then it warms up and I have to turn it back on.
- The shower was not hot, in fact I took a shower without having to turn the cold tap on at all. And it never got passed lukewarm = big-time fail.
But now the good things;
- Rooms are surprisingly big. Space in a room is a good thing, and these rooms are generous by today's standards.
- Clean and tidy, no complaints about the standards here
- Smoke free. Has a novel line on check in that you sign to agree to be fined $100 if you smoke inside. Amusing and effective!
- Friendly and helpful staff.
All up, I'd recommend the hotel. Some people have raved that it is central, well what's not in Darwin, this is a compact city after all, but they have a point as the hotel is a short walk to everything in the CBD. It's good value, and is worth a repeat visit, but if they fixed the hot water, quietened the air-con, and dropped the stupid photo ID it would tick all the boxes. None of these are reason to avoid it though - you should have a good stay here, and feel you money was well spent.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
27 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay.
Report response as inappropriate
It is disappointing that you have encountered some issues during your stay and we certainly hope to address these. I have noted your comments about the air-con and the hot water and will have this investigated by team. We are happy for you to bring these matters to our attention during your stay so we can minimise the inconvenience to you.
I am pleased that you found the rooms spacious and clean the staff friendly and helpful.
Thank you for sharing your recent experience.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC