The Swissotel was very easy to get to, being right by the Messe with several trams routes stopping almost right outside. It’s only a short ride – about 5 minutes – across the river from the old town and 15 -20 minutes on foot, depending on your speed!
Upon arrival, our reservation could not be found. I’m not sure whether this was the fault the ‘to remain un-named’ major online booking site or the Swissotel group, but it transpired that our booking – and also the payment – had been made to the Swissotel in Zurich. We were offered complimentary drinks from the bar while the reception staff worked out what the problem was. About twenty five minutes after arrival, we were allocated rooms. The situation was very well handled by the reception team, but it wasn’t the best of starts and certainly wasn’t the smooth check-in I would expect from a chain such as Swissotel. Upon checkout, we had the same problem again when the hotel wanted to charge the credit card for a second time. Hmmm...
My room was well appointed and very clean, with various options for lighting around the bed, desk, armchair etc. The bathroom was equally as modern and clean. All the fittings and equipment were of good quality. My main gripe with the room was the temperature – when I arrived, the thermostat was already set to minimum, yet the room didn’t feel cool, although the noisy fan would suggest that a lot of cool air was being blown into the room!
So despite the bed being comfortable, I didn’t actually sleep as well as I had hoped, due to the temperature of the room. Having the window open wasn’t really an option because of the traffic noise from outside. The next day I reported the temperature issue and was told it would be looked at. That night, the room was just as stuffy – I don’t think much ‘looking at’ was done! It certainly wasn’t unbearable as otherwise I would have changed rooms, of course, but it was not as comfortable as I would have liked it or, indeed, expected.
The hotel is very smart and modern in feel and all of the staff I met were friendly. Wifi in the hotel is incredibly expensive and I didn’t use it. (Strangely, I wasn’t able to pick-up any free wifi around the hotel, or indeed anywhere in the city centre except for 10 minutes given to tourists at the tourist info centre.) Breakfast in the hotel restaurant on Sunday morning really was very good – pretty expensive in comparison to some hotel chains, I would say, but the quality was good and after all, it’s Switzerland!
All in all, I recommend this Swissotel – other than the temperature, it really was very, very nice!
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Le Plaza Basel Hotel Basel
- Swissotel Le Plaza Basel Hotel
- Swissotel Le Plaza Hotel Basel
- Basel Swissotel Le Plaza
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swissotel Le Plaza Basel is the largest hotel in the Basel area. Directly located at the fairgrounds and only a few minutes by foot from the river Rhine and the old town, it is the perfect venue not only for business travellers, but also for leisure guests.Our 238 stylishly appointed rooms are at least 25 sqm, which makes them the largest in town. The hotel’s facilities include the modern ô bar and the restaurant Grill25. Basel’s first "Urban Grillroom" is all about perfect steaks and fresh fish. Vegetarian dishes are also available.All rooms are equipped with a large working desk with integrated adapters, ironing facilities and wired & wireless internet access. Additionally, Swissotel Le Plaza features a business corner with free internet access in the lobby. Our fitness area, Purovel Sport, offers state of the art fitness equipment which also invites to relax in the sauna or enjoy a massage. Furthermore, our guests benefit from the Concierge service, which always has some insider tips, as well as from free parking on weekends and the Basel Mobility Ticket for free use of the public transportation system. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Olotels, Otel, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Swissotel Le Plaza Basel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.