This hotel is actually pretty decent, despite some not so great reviews. It is currently being renovated. I got a peak into some of the newer rooms. They look very swish. Once the reno's are complete the place will be great.
I stayed in the older part of the hotel. If you plan on staying here you need to be aware that in the older section the walls are thin and that you will be staying above Biddy Mulligans the irish pub. So there will be some noise. The noise from the bar was loudest on the Saturday I was there, but nothing you can't sleep through with some ear plugs. I did have some noisey neighbours, but again that wasn't a huge deal to me, but light sleepers should be weary.
My room had a tiny amount of wear in the carpet and the walls could do with some fresh paint, but other than that it was fine. The pillows were a bit too thin and lumpy in parts for me, but giving them a good bash sorted it out. The room did retain heat quite well so there was no real need to have it on as I get hot very quickly. Most days I kept my window open while I was out and the heater off so I didn't over heat once I returned.
The staff are lovely and very helpful. Couldn't possibly improve those lovely ladies.
It's VERY close to Edinburgh castle and the Royal Mile. There are some great places to eat near by too.
In summary, stay here for a great pub and easy access to tourist sites. If you're sensitive to noise, or are a bit picky about decor, then you might not be too happy.
- Also Known As:
- Grassmarket Hotel Edinburgh
- Grassmarket Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly refurbished Grassmarket Hotel is the perfect choice for work and play, and is centrally located only a 10 minute walk from the Edinburgh International Conference Centre and moments from the best attractions Edinburgh has to offer including Edinburgh Castle and the historic Royal Mile. If you like to unwind after a hard day in quirky stylish surroundings, you won’t be disappointed. Our designs bring a distinctive and fresh flavour to the Edinburgh hotel market whilst incorporating traditional Scottish twists, with a few surprises along the way! The hotel has newly refurbished guestrooms, ranging from Cosy (single room), Comfy(standard twin/double) and Comfy Plus (triple or 4 singles) all complete with rainfall style showers. Can’t cope without your iPod? Pop it in our dock & kick back in sound proofed rooms. Each bedroom has a large flat screen plasma TV. Oh and if that wasn’t enough to keep you occupied, we also have free Wi-Fi. New to the city? All rooms have wall sized magnetic map that will point you in the right direction. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, T4B, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline, HostelBookers, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Olotels, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Grassmarket Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.