When I stayed for 3 nights in summer, I'd had a few gripes (see "Nearly." below). When I wrote them gently to the manager, she offered me a complimentary night, which I took in mid-October.
* It is in a terrific location - near plenty of public transport, near to Westminster Abbey, up a very quiet street but that street is off a much busier one, so that returning after dark is not all uncomfortable.
* I had a single room this time, and the bed! Absolutely the most comfortable I've ever slept on. If I could have slipped it into my handbag, I would have.
* The room had a desk, a dresser, a wardrobe, a chair and a basin, as well as the bed. There was a mirror on the dresser, an advantage over the twin I had last time, which had no mirror at all, or not a full length one anyway.
* Having a computer lounge available meant I didn't have to take my netbook, a great advantage as I was only staying the one night and travelling very light.
* The breakfast was pretty grim. Cereals, including a muesli this time. White bread, white croissants, white bagels and white muffins. I didn't mind the tub of marge with a knife in it for all to share and the jar of jam and single spoon - it felt home-like - but the complete absence of protein...... They'd emailed me in advance to warn me there'd be no ham or cheese, not complaining that I didn't know, but it's their absence that makes me say "only for one night" - I would go insane with nothing but carbs for Every Breakfast.
* It being term time, it was a bit noisy. Students doing whatever students do in the night but they did it for a very long time, in fact it was only my trip to the bathroom that seemed to shut them up.
The same impersonal smiles at reception, from 2 different girls. I think it's that I find the most off-putting, somehow; almost I'd rather they were surly, because they beam but don't engage, don't know your name, don't wish you a nice stay or a nice day, just smile without meaning.
It felt much better, now that I knew from past experience what the real internet charges would be, and that they didn't store luggage, and that the lounge was actually the student common room. All that's needed is to make these things clear on the website before people get there.
If I ever have to be up that end of town again for just the one night, I'd definitely book in there but certainly not for a longer stay.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC