The good things:
• Great location - Amidst a coffee plantation. Greenery all around, you can wake up to birds chirping
• Bird Watching - A bird watcher's paradise
• Traditional designed villas - We had a private pool villa. The villa is designed in a traditional south Indian way (great wooden furniture, open courtyard, private pool). Well thought out.
The Bad Experience:
• Extra Beds - We had two of our kids staying with us and we had paid for the extra beds. We instructed the front office that we would want to rest after lunch and would like the beds placed by lunch time. But when we went to our villa after lunch the beds had not yet been arranged. When I called up the front desk, I was told that the beds have already been placed. I told the lady that NO there are no extra beds. She then told me that she will check and have them arranged. Then 2 hours pass and still nothing. I again call her and she does not believe me. She then comes up to our villa to check for herself. She then starts giving explanations on what happened and why she is not be blamed and on & on. I told her to please stop the ranting and just get the beds arranged. Anyways then the housekeeping comes and arranges the beds. In the evening the lady comes to our villa with a sorry card, flowers & cake. Nice touch, but I would much rather get the basics right!
• Toilet Flush not working - Our toilet flush refused to work. We called housekeeping and they came and repaired it, but then after a couple of flushes it would go bad. This happened 4 times and each time we were promised that it is now repaired. The other thing about the bathrooms - the water pressure is very low, so you can’t operate two taps at the same time. For e.g. When the flush cistern is filling up, the pressure in the wash basin reduces. The bathroom fittings are dated, circa 1990's. The bathroom seriously needs a refresh.
• Coffee Machine in the Granary restaurant. For the three days we were there, the coffee machine in the main restaurant was not working. So if you wanted a cappuccino you had to walk to the reading lounge.
• Food - is of average quality. We tried all the three restaurants.
o Granary - the large buffet restaurant. While the spread seemed wide, the quality & taste itself needs a lot of improvement. For e.g. the Lucknowi Biryani seemed very South Indian to us & the Balushahi (sweet) were hard & dry.
o Plantain Leaf - The chats are all below par. Obviously the Chef/cooks have been trying hard, but they just are not right. You would not like to pay money to eat such chat.
o Pepper Corn - Slightly better than the rest. The weather was hot & humid but there were no fans provided. We also had a large stray cat eating on a table trying to eat from the plate!
o Poolside - The snacks in the evening are very pedestrian. Ordinary pakoras & bajjis. Salty & oily.
• The resort charges extra for bi cycles. While the golf carts are complimentary!
• No Internet - Wi-Fi or Wired in the rooms. You will have to go to the reception area.
• Staff - there is a huge training issue here. The restaurant staff does not know the basics. For e.g. they will not clear used plates. Essentially there is no one waiting on you in any of the restaurants. You have to literally call for attention.
So in my experience & view, this is an average property that charges extra ordinary prices.
- Also Known As:
- Orange County, Coorg Hotel Siddapura
- Orange County, Coorg Hotel
- Orange County Hotel
- Orange County Kodagu
- Orange County, Coorg Karnataka
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bordered by the legendary river Cauvery and surrounded by virginal forests, Orange County, Coorg is a 300 acre working plantation resort perched at a height of 800 m that gives you the most luxurious introduction yet into the deepest secrets of this mystic mountain. Come, allow the spirit of the land to infuse your very being and coax you gently on a personal voyage of discovery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Tablet Hotels, Splendia, Travelocity and Expedia so you can book your Orange County, Coorg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.