Just returned from a fantastic trip to Royal Haciendas and the Playa del Carmen area with husband and 2 boys (11 and 8)! The resort was very beautiful and the rooms very nice and the whole complex extremely clean and well-kept. We are not owners, and we felt very welcomed and we were not hassled to sit through a sales pitch. We picked the resort because of it's close proximity to the eco-parks (Xel-Ha, XCaret, Xplor) as well as it's very close to downtown Playa and we wanted something that had a kitchen so that we could eat in for breakfast and lunch. We are a very active family and don't like to sit around at the pool day after day, so having so many options other than being on the resort was great, which is why we didn't stay at an all-inclusive. On the days we were on the resort, we played tennis in the morning, the sand courts are very nice. Played volleyball after lunch and then hung out at the pool. The kids also enjoyed the activity room (ping-pong) and the game room (bumper pool and Xbox). Happy hour has 1/2 price drinks, which was awesome and we took advantage of every day we could! Prices in the restaurants and pool side snack bar were reasonable.
We took the free shuttle downtown the first night and ate on 5th avenue and then walked to Walmart (it's only 3 blocks from 5th avenue), and then took a taxi right from Walmart back to the resort. The onsite grocery is reasonable, but if you are going to be downtown anyway, going to Walmart is very convenient and cheaper with much more selection and there is a taxi stand right at the exit. The taxi for each way was around $10 + tip. Playa del Carmen had a really great atmosphere and we felt very safe walking around and it was really great staying at a resort so close to a good town so that we could experience the local culture.
We booked the Xel-Ha, XCaret and XPlor package and loved them all for different reasons! The boys loved XPlor the best. Xel-Ha is quite a bit further away (45 minutes). XCaret and Xplor are only about 15-20 minutes from Royal Haciendas and we took a taxi for all of them. We booked the parks online directly through the park - I think the resort would prefer you to book through their travel agent.
We stayed at the resort Wednesday - Wednesday and did have to switch rooms on Saturday (the resort tells you about this upfront, so we were not surprised). I was worried about the transition, but the resort did make it very easy for us. I didn't like having to pack up, but it was OK. We were able to use the new unit right away, even though it hadn't been cleaned, which I preferred because I didn't want to be stuck at the pool without having access to our room and things. Our first unit was on the 2nd floor and it was great. The second unit was first floor and we had a big problem with mosquitoes. No matter how many we killed, we kept finding more and figured they were coming in every time we opened the door or patio.
Awesome vacation and I would definitely stay at Royal Haciendas again. Apparently this is the first year they have opened it up to non-members and I am real glad and hope they continue to offer it!
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Haciendas Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- The Royal Haciendas Hotel
- Royal Haciendas Hotel
- Royal Haciendas Playa Del Carmen
- The Royal Haciendas Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spacious and comfortable, the tastefully decorated and fully furnished two-bedroom, two-bathroom villas sleep up to six people and offer 1,613.07 square feet of living space for you and your family (Flexivilla 1,332.46 ft2 and Terrace & Balcony 280.61 ft2). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Otel and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Haciendas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.