I stayed here for a week - 3/24-3/31. I was part of a dive group.
The good points:
* The price for the entire trip was decent - airfare from Denver plus 7 nights hotel plus 5 days of 2 tank diving = $1750. Airfare alone from DEN to CZM was running around $700 for the entire 3 months leading up to the trip (I checked about once a week). Just about anywhere you go you'll pay $70-100 per day for the diving, so the total cost was very reasonable.
* The pool area is very nice - plenty of chairs and shade areas, great space, and fairly responsive service.
* The room and the grounds were kept very clean. Overall, the property was very clean. It could use a lot of updating and maintenance work, though.
* The room air conditioning worked like a champ - I had no problem keeping my room freezing cold. The unit was a little loud for some, but I love white noise while I sleep, and it filled that role admirably.
* Shower water pressure & water temp -- I'm guessing Mexico doesn't have the same laws the US does regarding maximum water flow show heads. Although the shower head was old and slightly crusty, it put out a heck of a nice shower -- heavy flow and plenty of pressure -- and plenty of hot water, too!
* Location - although south of the central square, I liked being a little bit further out -- but, still only a 10-15 min walk to the main square. Also, it's across the street from the water, but it has a nice little walkway tunnel built below the street so you can walk from the hotel under the street and come up in the lunch room/dive locker area.
The average points:
* service was overall very average. From the front desk to the pool area to the restaurant, service was just acceptable. Smiles were rare and I never encountered any genuine enthusiasm or overt friendliness. And I tried engaging many of the employees in conversation, but no one seemed to want to carry on much of a conversation. And it wasn't because they were overly busy.
The bad points:
* The food. I was pretty surprised that the food was so consistantly poor. I mean, high school cafeteria grade poor. I realize an all inclusive has to maintain appropriate costs and margins, but this was really bad. Every piece of meat, regarless of size or what dish it was in, was cooked to become the texture of leather. Really - chicken, steak, pork - you name it, it was dry and tough. I asked for some beef prepared rare and was given a blank stare... and then subsequently had another piece of overcooked (very well done) meat dropped on my plate. Even the fruits and veggies were of poor quality - either overcooked or, if raw, very under ripe or soggy or whatnot. As for flavor - there wasn't much. Our trip leader, who has stayed here numerous times, told us she usually only eats the nachos - and goes to town for all dinners.
* The beds & linens - The beds were hard - and I don't mean firm, I mean hard. I like a very firm mattress, but these might as well have been plywood boxes. And the linens were jailhouse quality.
* Maintenance - my room had peeling paint in the bathroom, the tub was also peeling and cracking. Everything about the property is dated.
* Small safe - Ipad and DSLR camera fit, but not a standard laptop.
Overall, not a bad property, but the terrible food and the lackluster service dulled what could have easily been a very solid 4 star experience.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Cozumel Cozumel
- Hotel Cozumel
- Hotel Cozumel Resort
- Hotel Cozumel & Resort
- Cozumel Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amongst the 4 Star Hotels on the island, Hotel Cozumel & Resort has many good things to be proud of. Things that have made of this friendly resort the best option for families and divers. Wondering why? It is simple: the best location and the best value! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Booking.com, Otel, Travelocity, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Cozumel and Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.