Location: The cottages are located a 5-10 min walk from a public beach access. Be aware that you must walk alongside the main hwy/road and cars speed by at around 40 mph. There is no sidewalk; I would not feel safe with small children on foot. The public beach access is down a steepish and sandy (and therefore slippery) hill, which makes transporting items for a beach picnic less than logistically easy.
Amenities: The bikes are nice in theory, but you will really need a car rental to see the better beaches in exuma from this location. We thought we could at least ride to hoopers bay beach, but then there's the problem of trekking them down and up that steep hill...again, not convenient. We were also excited about the free kayaks but realized fairly quickly that we wouldn't be able to carry them to the beach (too far), nor tow them on our sedan-sized car rental.
Condition of home: The basic necessities are there and cleanliness was fine. We stayed at other rentals on the islands where we felt at home; here you really feel like you are in a rental. One of the air conditioners was broken upon our arrival and the heat made it very difficult to sleep in that room. It took a few days to get that fixed and by that time we were leaving. There is no landline. We thought this would be fine because internet service was advertised and we were traveling with a small netbook which we could use for phone calls. But service was unreliable and went out after our first day. We had to go into town to coordinate some of our activities, which was not very convenient.
Service: We felt really disappointed by the service we received. The owner was trying to work on the AC repair and on arranging a promised car rental that was never delivered and ironically asked if we could call her at her own property! A landline should be basic service to contact your guests and respond to their needs. We expressed our dissatisfaction and didn't feel she adequately responded nor shared in our concerns. Of course, we didn't even receive her communication until the internet kicked back in the evening before our departure. Although the caretaker seems like a kind person, we didn't receive much help from him in response to our concerns either. He is more just there to take care of the property, not the customers.
To admit responsibility, this was a very last minute travel arrangement on our behalf. Had I done more research, I hope I would have found something that was worth more for what we paid for. All in all, we decided to not let it ruin our vacation and shrugged it off as best as we could. My advice- look for something better if you can.
- Also Known As:
- Hoopers Bay Villas Exuma Hotel
- Hoopers Bay Villas Exuma Hotel Great Exuma
- Hoopers Bay Villas Exuma Great Exuma, Bahamas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hoopers Bay Villas Exuma are authentic self-service Bahamian cottages. You will get a true Out-Island experience. You visit Exuma because you want to get away from the noise and crowded beaches. Coming to Exuma for the Disney effect is like going to Vegas for culture and studying the desert ecosystem. Exuma is rustic and pristine. There are no high-risers, traffic lights or fast food restaurants. What you will find is a quiet place to slow down, and reconnect with your inner self. Hoopers Bay Villas Exuma is the perfect place to relax after a day of biking, snorkeling, kayaking or relaxing on one of the nearby beaches. Recreation equipment is provided. You can take the kayaks and explore Hoopers Bay beach or your can explore the Mangroves to the south of the property. Some of our guests go bird watching (binoculars are provided). Each Exuma Cottage has 2 Bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms – one bedroom with a Queen bed and the other with two Twin Beds, great for families or couples. Kitchens are fully equipped and there are outdoor showers for rinsing off the sand, upon your return from the beach. You can enjoy the evening breezes on the front or back porches, grill your catch or just hang out with your neighbors. The property is centrally located and within walking distance to a well stocked food store and liquor store. There are nearby restaurants and downtown is only 5+ minutes away by car. This is a warm and welcoming community, the people are friendly and there is staff on hand to answer your questions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Hoopers Bay Villas Exuma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.