Well, I don't know where to begin. I read at least 1000 reviews before leaving for the Bahamas....so I feel as if I was very prepared...I thought I would try and share our experience here and hope that it can help someone else....
As so many others have said - YES - Atlantis is EXPENSIVE...it is an Island. Everything is imported, so it will be more expensive. Therefore, plan accordingly. My family of 6 stayed in a condo at the Reef - I packed an entire suitcase with food. What did I take? Licorice, fruit snacks, spaghetti, sauce, pop tarts, bagels, oatmeal, tuna, chips, nuts, granola bars, cereal, peanut butter, bologna, cheese, and ham (that I had frozen and took out of the freezer on the way to the airport), coffee, creamers (because I am picky)....AND...we had our taxi driver stop at the grocery store where we purchased ALL of our water, beer, alcohol, milk, fruit, eggs, and a few other items....we ate every breakfast and lunch in the room, took all of our own snacks and beer or water to the pool and I think saved a TON of money doing this. I did have a couple $12 Kahlua coladas at the poolside bar...well worth it!!! I had taken a collapsible cooler to take to the pool - but it was NOT on wheels....I highly recommend you take one and make sure it has wheels!!!!
Our family was at the Reef for 8 nights and 9 days...a very long time - but we planned accordingly. I will say - 9 days was a bit too long....but I had my husband and my 18, 10, 8 and 7 year olds.....I was just very tired at the end..
We swam with the dolphins - very nice - and you will have the chance to buy some photos at the end,,,,,try to negotiate - otherwise the prices are way out of whack,,,but glad I got the few that I did. If you want to swim with the sea lions schedule EARLY - they sell out fast.
The spa was amazing...absolutley LOVED it - although they did not have the supplies for the first two options I wanted, they treated me wonderfully...and they had a great promo going on so the price was definitely right.
Straw Market - OK...I loved it...but I am a FIERCE negotiator - it was a blast....good luck finding anything made in the bahamas...but they did have some cool stuff!!
We walked through the DIG twice and I think my entire family could have stood there all day....well worth it - and to top it off, we were there the 4th of July - best fireworks I have ever seen, except for the Washington D.C.....seriously awesome!!!
The best advice I have - SMILE.....if you THINK someone is being rude, smile at them and I promise you they will smile back. I read so many reviews about RUDE employees...well - I knew what I was spending on this vacation and I refused to allow someones bad day ruin it for my family...we talked to everyone and they talked back!!!! It was a wonderful time - I would definitely go back with my kids....but my husband and I both agree that Atlantis is probably a bit pricey if you are just interested in a beach vacation......but go and ENJOY!!!!!
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Atlantis Hotel
- The Reef Atlantis Hotel Paradise Island
- Reef Atlantis Paradise Island
- Reef Atlantis
- Reef Atlantis Hotel
- The Reef Atlantis Bahamas/Paradise Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on Paradise Beach, guests enjoy miles of white sand and ocean in their backyard with all the wonder and excitement of Atlantis on their front doorstep. The Reef features studios and one- and two-bedroom suites offering all the conveniences of home with a full kitchen or kitchen area complete with linens, cookware, table settings, refrigerator and private balconies with water views. Guests of The Reef enjoy a semi-private pool, shared only with The Cove Atlantis, Starbucks lounge and are closest to Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Amex, Otel, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Reef Atlantis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.