My wife, son (9 years old) and I stayed at the Windsong from Sun (Mar 11) through Sun (Mar 18). It was our first trip to T&C - in fact, our first trip to the Caribbean. I did a ton of research before picking a spot and, after the great tripadvisor reviews, we fully expected Windsong to live up to its reputation. And it did - BIG TIME.
First, a little about us. We're not a big "activity" family. We like the beach and have done resorts in Hawaii, Mexico, etc. We might do a half-day trip somewhere (aka "shopping") but, beyond that, we like to stay put ... mainly reconnect time with the family on the beach, in the pool, playing games at night, etc.
My son and I are big sports fans (baseball primarily) so just being able to go down to the beach and throw the ball is relaxing for us while Mom catches up on her reading. Whereas other families are out spear fishing, hang gliding, etc. that's just not us. So it's in that context that I provide my review.
We knew from our research T&C was not a big resort place. We liked the idea of a condo setup but also wanted "some" amenities - food on site, cocktails, spa, etc. Windsong was the perfect choice for us. The accommodations were incredible - clean, spacious and nicely decorated. We were in suite 122 (a 2 bedroom junior oceanfront on the 2nd floor). The views, of course, were stunning.
As you've seen in other reviews, the Windsong staff are terrific - friendly and attentive, but not intrusive. Ian checked us in and hosted the Thursday night karaoke (he also has a beautiful voice). Samuel, Rosalene, Charles and all the folks at JoJo's ... you rock!
Some highlights and tips:
1. We ate next door ("Somewhere Cafe") twice. As others have noted, the fish tacos are excellent (I had them both times).
2. We ate (and drank!) a lot at JoJo's ... breakfast everyday, small things to nibble on at lunch, pina coladas, and dinner (twice). We thought the food was great ... yes, the dinner menu could be a little broader but what they have is good - I had the chick parm twice.
3. Based on other reviews, we picked Mango Reef and Hemingways as our "high end" dinner nights off the property. Mango Reef - wow - just can't say enough about it. We both had filets (I also had lobster - surf and turf) which we easily in the top-10 filets we've ever had anywhere. Great portions, cooked to perfection, great atmosphere and service. I highly recommend Mango Reef and, if you go, try to get Jean-Luc as your server. He was personable, genuine and professional. You might think, in a place like T&C, that waitstaff would just "mail it in" ... go thru the paces with tourist after tourist after tourist. Not Jean-Luc, he understands his customers are on vacation and want the evening to be special. It was.
Hemingways, on the other hand, not so much. The food was OK (mahi mahi wasn't cooked evenly), small portions, the location and live music were nice, but it just felt like a numbers business ("we know we're going to be packed so don't need to try very hard"). At the end of the meal we both said "wow, we should have just gone back to Mango Reef".
4. No issues with dinner reservations and booking taxis ... the folks at the concierge desk took care of it. The taxi was mostly Lige - very friendly and knowledgeable.
5. I saw few (if any) comments about the wi-fi and for good reason ... it works! Each suite as its own router (by name) and it was fast and stable. No service down by the pool, which is fine ... my wife would have smacked me for using my iPhone there.
6. Havana Club (on site) had a movie night Tue that we didn't go to as it wasn't a kid flick. However, the Karaoke on Thu night was kid friendly and we had a good time there after dinner. Also, because it was March Madness, the Havana Club was showing games on the big screen which was fun.
7. We found the airport to be fine though I'm sure it depends on your itinerary. We arrived at 9pm so it wasn't crowded, got thru customs quickly, grabbed our bags and we were on our way. Our return flight was at 9am (the first back to the mainland). We got to the airport by 7:20am and easily could have come later. Now, if your flight is around 12-1pm, that's where you need to be careful as there are like (4) mainland departures around that time.
8. We spent a couple of hours in the main shopping location just to pick up shirts and other souvenirs. The shopkeepers were friendly and not pushy at all.
9. We brought our snorkeling gear with us which seemed to be the norm. The reef is just offshore and plenty of fish to see. On the last day, a 5-foot nurse shark was swimming around and I was plenty glad not to see it. :-)
10. Another reason for picking Windsong was the spa - my wife typically ends up getting a massage or two although, on this trip, she didn't so I can't comment on the offerings or service.
Overall, we LOVED the Windsong. Although the place was full, with only 50 suites it just didn't feel crowded. There were ample pool and beach chairs. The parasailing, banana boat and snorkeling charters all seemed to be very popular.
We look forward to visiting T&C again and, if so, I guarantee we'll return to the Windsong.
Definitely pay the extra to get oceanfront and ask to be (at least) on the 2nd floor for the best vi...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC