I'm a bit late writing this review and I sincerely hope that things have improved since our visit.
We stayed at RPTB in April 2010 which was supposed to have been for 14 nights. However, due to the volcanic ash in Iceland we had to stay for an extra 3 nights as our flights were suspended. I would add that our travel agent Thomson TUI were very good and we were allowed to stay in our original rooms at the hotel, so well done Thomson.
When we first arrived the hotel looked really nice in the Reception area, but we had to decend the flight of stairs down towards the pool and could hardly believe our eyes. There were numerous people Canadian, American, Russian all by the pool bar acting like animal. You could smell the pot they were smoking as you passed, but what was really disgusting was they were smoking it in the pool, dropping ash and cig butts in to the pool. What you need to be reminded of here is that children were actually using this pool. Money was exchanging hands for bottles under the counter at the pool bar and these so called ADULTS were behaving like idiots. No wonder kids today are getting out of control with no respect when they have parents that act in this manner.
Food This was OK the first week, but the remainder of the trip was well below par. If you didn't get in to the evening buffet early they seemed to run out of nearly everthing. Items were not replaced or if they were, replaced with something different but sub-standard, not great. We have stayed in Riu hotels in Mexico and Tenerife in Europe but this did not compare.
Beach Was nice but a lot of the beds were broken (not a suprise when you see how the staff throw them about) and you had to be up and on the beach before 8am for a good place, so nothing new there, this seems to be the norm no matter where you travel to.
Booking a la carte was not really a problem although a lot of reviews before we went said it was terrible. The problem was that when you arrived for your meal the place was empty and they didn't seem to want you to relax and enjoy your meal. We felt like they wanted you out as soon as possible.
Well if you are due to travel hear I hope you have a great time and as I stated at the beginning of my review I hope it has improved since our visit.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.