Following our recent return holiday to Grand Pineapple where the standard has deteriorated drastically since out last visit in 2008. We are so disappointed having recommended the hotel so highly in the past. Before we came home we actually discovered lots of people who arrived with us, demanded a move to another hotel. It sounded like the normal routine as a move was so quickly organised.
The overall appearance of the hotel, bedrooms, pool area's and general area's have become so tired and lacking any kind of appeal or colour. Some area's more representative of a cheap, run down holiday park in uk.
The dining room professes to have a dress code but men wearing casual beach shorts, tee shirts and flip flops do not constitute an evening dress code. Dining room staff used to wear bright Caribbean shirts during the day and white shirts for evenings - now they appear to be a mix of four styles any time although they are always clean and smart.
The ferrel cats are a huge problem in the dinning room at meal times with as many as four cats at one table at one time and taking food from uncleared plates (the plates are always cleared quickly) When sitting at a window table, the cats gather on the window sill next to and at the same level as the table - to watch you eating. They then jump down to the beach to foul on the sand. We saw one lady become so upset by the cats gathering to be fed by people on the next table as she was allergic to cats and she was offered room service! So the cats clearly have priority over guests. This is clearly a health hazard and in any other country the restaurant would be closed down.
The food has deteriorated terribly though there is an occasional one off meal to a high standard - particularly at the managers invitation meals which are quite spectacular by comparison. The Pineapple Grill is - I have to say absolutely wonderful in service, cleanliness, presentation and quality of food - what a joy it was to eat there. Mary's outhouse still has all the appeal needed for her wonderful ribs and welcome greetings thrown in.
The beautiful gardens, beach and setting can't be beaten and even the Atlantic coolness of the water wouldn't put us off - but those old plastic beds and tables really are ready for the tip along with the same balcony and pool furniture - oh and those tatty old green beach towels!
Having been to the Caribbean ten times to seven different islands - I can say with some knowledge that the staff in Grand Pineapple are some of the best we have come across. We cannot fault their helpfulness, which is beyond words and particularly great to see Jules is still on the team.
So Sandals what are you thinking of , portraying wonderful images of pretty beach furniture in your brochures and telling us all Grand Pineapple is a Sandals resort. Personally I think Sandals should keep quiet about that as it's nothing to brag about as I firmly believe it is over priced and over graded. The place was brilliant four years ago and at the very least we expected the same this time. Maybe ther are great plans for the place but meanwhile you are destroying peoples dreams of idilic holidays.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua Hotel
- Grand Pineapple Beach Hotel
- Pineapple Beach
- Grand Pineapple Beach
- Grand Pineapple
- Grand Pineapple Beach Resort
- Grand Pineapple Antigua
- Grand Pineapple Beach Club
- Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua Saint John Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Situated on Long Bay – the best secluded white sand beach on the north-eastern coast in Antigua•Thirty minutes away from the V.C. Bird International Airport and from St. John’s, Antigua’s capital city•An all-inclusive resort that caters to everyone…singles, couples, families and groups•Houses 180 deluxe rooms with bright and colorful buildings and perfectly manicured gardens •Interactive and family oriented…where warm and friendly staff refers to guests by name ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.