If anyone else was considering using Castle and King to here’s our review from a trip in May – it was good overall.
- C&K sub-contract everything out, from the driver to the guides who had never seen itinerary before so we missed a couple of monuments..
- Expect to get taken to a lot of overpriced shops where your guide or driver will get commission.
- We we’re looked after well and enjoyed the tour, what a wonderful country.
- Unsuitable itinerary in Agra and Ranthambore left us with either too much time or too little in each.
- No Dances of India show on the last night and very poor restaurant with bland food and poor service.
Hotel Arrangements – Excellent:
- Good choice of hotels. Imperial in Delhi was excellent.
- Khem Vilas was ok, but bizarre having dinner at night with crickets etc all over the table.
- Got upgraded to a suite in the Samode Haveli which was a welcome surprise.
Guide’s Services – Average:
- Delhi – Missed Red Fort in Delhi, guide told driver he had paid for rickshaw ride when we did, otherwise ok.
- Agra – Lots of commission shops, complained about amount of tip and cost of getting home (we can understand Hindi) – not acceptable. Tried to influence itinerary so that he could get home easily!
- Jaipur – Guide very good, no complaints.
Transport and Driver Service – Excellent (Driver), Poor (Train):
- Driver excellent, very helpful and friendly
- The driver won’t ever see the allowance you’ve paid for.
- Train was dreadful, all we wanted was reasonable seats but we were booked on a dark sleeper train to Mumbai with bunks not together.
Overall I would recommend, the issues were pretty minor, the price is reasonable and we were treated well.