No journey to San Francisco is complete without a trip to the iconic Golden Gate Bridge and there's no better to experience it than by ... more »bike.
Take your time weaving through the crowds on the eastern sidewalk and enjoy the city views, or speed along on the bike-only western sidewalk and marvel at the engineering and architectural genius behind the bridge. Or better yet, time it right and you can bike both sides of the bridge!
We've laid out a few side-trips along this route for you to consider, including the twisty Lombard Street, a military fortress, and a musical curiosity controlled by the waves and tides of the bay.
Bridge biking hours:
• Bikes have access to the bridge 24 hr/day!
• Weekdays east walkway open at all times except 3.30pm - 9pm when only the west walkway can be used.
• Weekends east walkway open at all times. West walkway is open between 5am and 9pm.
• Check the signs for seasonal adjustment of times.
• Late hour access on the east walkway uses a gate and remote buzzer system.
• Foggy days can be some of the best times to explore the bridge and this part of the San Francisco Bay because of the dramatic views revealed as the patchy fog burns off during the warmest parts of the day.
• Be sure to pack layers of clothing so you can keep comfortable as the weather changes.
• Read the Blazing Saddles safety tips at the beginning of this guide. less «